Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A few steps forward? Maybe!

We just arrived home from a visit to Mayo and I might have to call this a good day.

First off, NO PICC line.  If my weight had dropped to much, then they were going to restart the PICC line and send me home with I.V.s containing nutrients.  I really do not think I could have handled that.  The thought of being at home with bags of fluid attached to me didn't sit well.  The good news is that my weight was down only one pound since early Saturday and they were pleased.  No PICC line!  First thing that has swung my way so far and I'll take it.

We also now have an updated nausea plan and a new dose of one of the medications needed to control it.  
I now have specific protein goals to help me maintain my weight. I have some new menu options and we will see how they go. They also were able to explain a issue I was having with food coming back up, so I feel good about that. They were not to pleased with the small bag of chips I ate the other day however, but in my defense the bag of chips was given to me by one of their staff members. Not my fault.

The challenge I see right now is keeping hydrated. My taste buds have changed slightly and certain things do not taste good anymore. They say it is normal and it will pass.  I just can't handle the taste of water right now. There is a foul aftertaste that makes it hard to drink and keep down. We are going to be adding lemonade to it for the time being, but they want me to drink a lot, and it is too sweet to do that. If any of you have ideas, I would love to hear them.

And for those who know me well, they said NO to diet coke, long islands and beer.  I tried.


Or would you like to swing on a star?
Carry moonbeams home in a jar
And be better off than you are
Or would you rather be a fish?
(swingin on a star  Bing Crosby)

No comments:

Post a Comment