Saturday, August 15, 2015

The first 48 hours or so home

OK, so I used a lifeline, or called a friend as it was called on the game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire".  I had been home for just over 48 hours and was struggling to get myself on a schedule as far as eating, sleeping and taking my meds goes. So I spent part of Wednesday night on the phone with my sister Melanie who also had her stomach removed. Then part of last night with doctors from the Mayo Clinic. I get that there is still pain involved as my body continues to heal, but there was something else going on and nothing I did worked, so I needed help.

I know that my sister Mel had gone through some of this so she was my first call.  We talked for about a half hour or so and she may have left the conversation feeling that she did not help, but she did.  I just wouldn’t know it for 24 hours. More importantly, it was just great to hear her voice. 24 hours later I broke down and called the Mayo Clinic hotline number I had been given and within minutes was talking with one of the doctors who had handled my case while I was down there.  An amazing service by an amazing facility. 

I would go into what was going on physically, but it really is disgusting. It involves flem, mucus, throwing up every time you eat, but it is early here and none of us really need that at this time of the morning.  Both Mel and the doctor talked about gas and how I could still have gas trapped inside of me from the surgery.  Mel talked about a Gas-X product that just dissolved under your tongue but all we had were the pills. I hadn’t been able to keep anything down so the thought of swallowing another pill held no appeal to me.  I would just tough it out until we could get some.  Needless to say I did not make it and finally took one of the pills last night around 8pm.  Almost instant relief.

I had also been having trouble sleeping since leaving the hospital, I just couldn't get comfortable. I would get an hour here or there but that was it.  Melanie recommended this product called the wedge pillow and it is just what it sound like, a pillow in the shape of a wedge.  Last night I had my first, uninterrupted, 4 hour sleep. It may not sound like much to you, but for me it was a slice of heaven. 

You see, sometimes you just need a lifeline.

My wife Edie has been amazing through all of this.  She keeps asking me about my meds, if I need to rest or when was the last time I ate anything. It is just that the answers to those questions are difficult to say the least. She has been a trooper and went along when I would ask to go outside for walks during this heat.  I have to admit that the last time was just so I could walk through the sprinkler system running outside.

This is my transition week. Can I go from being the old Roger to the new Roger without having a bevy of nurses and doctors around?  So far the answer to that question is no, but I am getting better.  
For those who want to keep score, I have lost 20 pounds from my first post-surgery weigh in on August 5th.

What would you think if I sand out of tune
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I’ll sing you a song
And I’ll try not to sing out of key.
Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

(With A Little Help From My Friends  The Beatles)

No comments:

Post a Comment