Saturday, November 28, 2015

Living with a stricture

So I have another countdown going on. 18 days until I have another procedure to enlarge my esophagus/small intestine connection and I really want to keep that date. I know that must sound funny, but it is true. The challenge is that I am not sure I can make it till then.

I have noticed that things are getting stuck more and more recently. Simple foods like rice, mashed potatoes and even yogurt have started coming back up. Since we celebrated Thanksgiving a week early, we were able to have pizza on the actual day. Well it got stuck and I ended up throwing up most of what I ate.
The challenge I have is that not everything gets stuck. Sometimes everything works as it is supposed to and then the next time I eat the wheels seem to come off. And that seems to be how my life has been going recently. I just feel that food is getting stuck more and more as time goes by. You end up wondering if you actually have a stricture or are you just worrying about it too much. I don't know. 
So can I make it'll my appointment? I am not sure. I lost another pound and am right at the lowest weight the doctors say the will let be at. Not sure what they will do if I drop below 193 but we might find out. 

So why wait? 
I don't have any more time left to take off this year. My work has been really amazing about the time that I have needed off for this life "adventure". I have been able to work this appointment around my schedule so that it causes the least disruption at work. Most of my time off this year has been taken off for doctors appointments and what I have left I want to use for something good. I have scheduled time off around Christmas off that I do not want to change. Jenny and Sam are spending some time with us and I want to be able to keep that time off. Is that so bad to want?

I still have a date to schedule with the U of M for steroid injections, but I am worried more about making it to the Mayo on time so that might have to wait until after the first of the year. 

We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got
We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it, I swear
Livin' on a prayer
(Living on a prayer. Bon Jovi)


1 comment:

  1. Hey Roger! I also dealt with a stricture post op and was losing 1lb a week. The hospital I was going to could not get me in quickly and it was scary to see myself melting away but had minimal control over getting those appointments. I ended up needing 5 dilitations in total to clear it

    I year later I've put back on 10lbs and climbing. I didn't realize how bad a stricture is until after it was gone. I tell my friends that I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

    Smoothies were my friend and I loaded them with as many calories as possible during that time.

    Stay strong becuase it gets better!

    ReplyDelete