Sunday, November 22, 2015

An Ode to Pumpkin Pie

Tonight we celebrated Thanksgiving at out house.  My daughter Jen and her husband Sam were home this weekend so it gave us a chance, as a family, to gather and celebrate. My first holiday without a stomach. How would it go? How would I handle it?

Like you have heard me say time and time again, you win some, you lose some. The meal was wonderful,we had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and family tradition of green jello. For the most part I was able to eat all of it, just smaller portions. The one exception was the desert, Pumpkin Pie. Now I can't tell you if it was the pie or the cool whip, but after the second bite, I had a severe dumping reaction and was done.

Pumpkin Pie... One of my favorites..  I could once sit and eat an entire pie on my own if the need arose. One of my favorite foods over the holidays.  Based on today's reaction, it is off the menu for the foreseeable future. I could tell you that this realization sucks, but you probably figured that out. Tonight my family finished the small slice that I cut for myself.

It was too much sugar and I immediately started dumping. I had to excuse myself and leave the room where the rest of the family had gathered. It really sucked. There is no other way to say it. One of my favorite holiday treats that I make every year, and now it seems as if I will not be able to eat it.

I will not let it get me down though, It was an incredible evening. We shared amazing food, followed by loud, fun family games. We drank beer, long islands, and wine while surrounding the evening with fun and love. And I am just going to bed as I write this at 1:00 AM.  All in all it was an amazing night. Yes, I will miss pumpkin pie, but if the night ends with this much laughter and love as tonight did, then it is worth it.

So, goodbye for now Pumpkin Pie, I will give you another shot around Christmas and we will see how it goes then!

And by the way!  Happy Birthday to my son in law Sam! An amazing young man who has added so much to our family.  We love you!

I'm travelin' down that lonesome road
Feel like I'm dragging a heavy load
Yeah, I've tried to turn my head away
Feel about the same most every day
(Flirting With Disaster  Molly Hatchet)

No comments:

Post a Comment