Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Mayo Trifecta

I met with the staff down at the Mayo clinic yesterday and here is a quick update.

Update one:
I have been experiencing dumping syndrome almost daily now for the last week or so. I thought maybe I had caught a bug or that something but in the end it turned out that something I was eating was causing me to dump. It is just that I hurt and cramp a lot especially right after eating.
The team at the Mayo Clinic seems to think that it has to do with my diet. When it comes to eating, I have not been a horribly adventurous fellow since my surgery. If I find something that agrees with me I stick with it.  Now they want me to back off my diet until we can figure out what is causing it. They recommended soup. I reminded them that Thanksgiving was right around the corner and they still recommended soup. I let them know that soup was probably not going to be on the menu.

On a side note, I did ask them how I would know if I caught the stomach flu when I do not have a stomach and they assured me I would know. 

Update two:
Issue number two. My incision. There is something not quite right with it. I have now seen three different doctors on it and all three have called it something different. In the end it hurts, an looks very angry. They do not believe that it is infected, but it is a very deep dark red very sensitive to the touch.
The University of Minnesota wants to start steroid treatments. Wait, I know what you are thinking, I went to the Mayo Clinic, how did the U OF M get involved.  Well my normal physician is part of the new U of M system. They would like to inject the surgical site with steroids in a effort to to get it to calm down. The staff at the Mayo is reviewing the recommendation and will let me know if they agree with the recommendation.

Update three:
They also believe that I have another stricture forming. So I need to have another endoscopy and esophageal dilation. As you can imagine the happy, positive Roger left the room about then and they were left grumpy Roger. The first appointment that they can do it on is December 17th. Enough said on that.
  
I want to heal and get back my own life. The staff at the Mayo went out of their way to remind me that it has just been over 90 days since my surgery and it could take a few years for me to completely heal.  I really did not need to hear that. 

But things come in 3's!

I don't know, but I've been told
If you keep on dancing you'll never grow old
(Dance, Dance, Dance  Steve Miller Band)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Roger, my name is Polina. I am 34 and I live in Russia. It has been 7 months since my gastroectomy (3 stage of gastric cancer). It was 6 chemo. I had stricture several times and I have dumping as well, but all this is getting better. I had notable improvements within last two months and they continue to appear. You will overcome this problems and you will have your reward. Thank you for your blog. Wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete