Friday, July 15, 2016

And We're Off.... Sort of..

At 5:30 this morning vacation started for real. The crew got shaken, awakened and rousted. The final contents were stowed in the rented minivan. The remaining space in the van was then filled with excited, yet sleepy passengers. Then I waved goodbye as they started their journey eastward and went back to bed.

Wait! You thought I was going on this vacation too?
I am... I'm just flying!

This is actually day three of my vacation. The first two were filled with trying to get things done around the house. My car needed repair work done. The lawnmower had died and needed to be fixed The lawn needed mowing. One of the mopeds needs a new tire. Just the odds and ends of things that needed to get done. And as I would get things accomplished I would reward myself with a beer. People who know me shouldn't be surprised by that last comment.

Now I did bike eight miles yesterday. Not really by choice though. As I mentioned my car needed to be repaired and the shop that did it was eight miles away. Since I was the only one off of work yesterday there was going to be no one around to give me a lift when I needed to go get my car. So I told my wife that I was going to ride my bike to get it. She sort of laughed at me. I reminded her that I did that many times as a youth, to which she reminded me that I was no longer a youth. So I did it.
It took a little over an hour to get there and I only had to push my bike up a couple of "steep" hills. In my defense when I arrived at repair shop and the owner saw that I had biked, he asked where I had biked from. I told him Hanover, to which he replied "Oh my god that is up hill all the way". He didn't sound like he was being sarcastic and I hadn't paid for my repair yet, so I think he was serious.

Today there are few last minute things to pack that I will need to carry on the plane with me. A few minor things to finish up here and then it is off to the airport for my flight at the buttcrack of early tomorrow. Next stop, the beach.

I have to admit though, this morning, as I was packing the final contents into the van. I was struck by a sense of loss that I was not making the journey with them. I would miss this part of the adventure. Then I saw how stuffed the boys were in the back seat and though "Nope, I am good".

I guess I just don't have the stomach for it anymore.... :-)

So much as come before those battles lost and won
This life is shining more forever in the sun
Now let us check our heads and let us check the surf
Staying high and dry's more trouble that it's worth
In the sun..
(Road Trippin'    Red Hot Chili Peppers)

No comments:

Post a Comment