Thursday, February 25, 2016

A Quick Update On A Short Stent....

They say that hindsight is always 20-20, and I guess that this should be the lesson I take from this little experience.

I have a stent in now. Not sure that I like it. It hurts a lot and I can feel it. I mean I can tell you exactly where it is sitting in my chest. Again, not sure that this is a good thing. It is too late now, and with everything that has happened since they put it in, I just need to tough it out until they remove in in a couple of months.

So I went to Mayo on Tuesday as scheduled. The stent was scheduled at 10:30 and was to be the second procedure I had that day. No appointments afterwards, so it was supposed to be an easy in an out and then head home.
The doctors started coming in around 11:30 so I know that my procedure was close. The doctor who was going to be doing the procedure told me that he was just putting the stent in, and that should have raised a red flag for me. You see I was told that they may just do a dilation it depended on the state of the stricture but now that was off the table,

I "woke" up and started throwing up almost right away and it stayed that way for a number of hours. I couldn't keep anything down and had problems standing without throwing up.
They told me that the first stent had migrated into my lower intestine and they had to go get it. They ended up using one of the largest stents they have and both sutured a clipped into place with clamps.
By six pm I was still in recovery and the decision was made to admit me once again to St. Mary's for an overnight stay. At one point in time they told me that they were going to send me home and Edie went to take things out to the car. By the time she returned the decision had changed and an ambulance was being summoned to take me to St. Mary's.

I did ask that the ambulance driver to give me some lights and sirens for the four block drive but he declined. Not even a whoop whoop.

So where am I now? I am back on a liquid diet for a few days and then on a soft diet for a few weeks. I will most likely not be able to enjoy a steak, or and heavy foods until after the stent comes out. I am struggling drinking anything even slightly carbonated again as the back up causes pain and what i drink gets thrown up.
I also need to go back to have x-rays of the stent every week until they remove it. The problem lies with the stent and if it were to come loose and migrate down my intestines again. Without someone around to go get the stent, or one of the clips, it could be really bad for me. So again why did I do this?

As far as going back to work goes, well today I got up, got ready for work, and threw up.

I will try again tomorrow.

You used to think that it was so easy
You used to say that it was so easy
But you're trying, you're trying now
Another year and then you'd be happy
Just one more year and then you'd be happy
(Bakers Street   Gerry Rafferty)




No comments:

Post a Comment