Wednesday, February 3, 2016

0-100 in 6 words.

I was groggy from the anesthesia and really just wanted to close my eyes and sleep some more when the nurse said the six words that snapped me awake immediately.

"They didn't put the stent in." was all she said.

I was immediately awake and pissed off. "What the hell do you mean they didn't put the stent in. Everything I went through today was done so that they could put the stent in and I would be done with dilations. Now you tell me they didn't do it? What in hell did they do for the hour I was under?"

"They did another dilation, but you will need to talk with the doctor" was all she said and she left the room.

It took another 45 minutes to meet with the doctor. His explanation was that he did not have a stent big enough to positively secure it in my esophagus. Since I had a dilation last week the opening had not closed enough to warrant a stent. If the stent was not secure it could come loose and end up in my small intestine where they would have to go in and get it, which would be bad. So they did another dilation. He told me that if a stricture happens again they will immediately go in a put the stent in.

Now to try to keep that from happening they cut me. That is they cut the scar tissue causing the stricture in multiple locations and then stretched it during the dilation. They were able to get the opening to 18mm after cutting it and they hope that it will remain at that size from now on. The doctor thinks that there is good chance that it will hold. But he can't guarantee anything. They only way to tell is if another stricture forms.
So we are back to waiting..

The really sucky part of today:
I am back on antibiotics again.
I am back on a liquid diet, nothing more than jello and broth for a few days.
Once that is done I can add things like mashed potatoes and gravy.
I am still loosing weight and this new "plan" is not going to help.

Here comes the rain again
Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion
(Here Comes The Rain Again   Eurythmics)

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment