Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My message to Dad


Hey Dad

21 years ago, cancer took you from us.  I really wish I could talk to you today, but I can’t so I will write this in hopes that somehow God has an internet connection up there that you can tap into.  These are the times where I wish I could just pick up the phone and hear your voice. 
First off, I hope wherever you are, you are enjoying yourself.  Maybe listening to some old Marty Robbins while fishing somewhere.  Heck, maybe old Marty Robbins is fishing with you.  Who knows.  I just hope that you are having a good time.  You would be amazed at how things are going down here.  You have grandkids running all over the place and even some of the grandkids have kids now.  We still hunt, fish, and work on cars just like you taught us.    

The kids have grown into amazing young adults.  Jennifer is married and living in Iowa.  Jackson serves our country in the National Guard and works part-time at a couple of jobs while he tries to discover his career calling.  Madelin is just finishing her Junior year in high school.  I know you never met her, but you would have loved her.  It is amazing how on certain days one of the kids will spin around to say something and I will catch that twinkle in their eyes.  That same one you used to get before you were going to tell a joke.  I can see you in their eyes. 

Cancer reared its ugly head in our family again and we continue to battle.  I am sure that cancer didn't know what it was getting into when it showed up this time.  We have discovered a gene that causes a particular style of cancer.   Mom, Mel and I have tested positive for it.  Don’t worry about us, we are taking the steps to make sure that we are not going anywhere anytime soon.  Mel had the surgery to remove her risk in January and I will follow suit in August.  We will be fine, you raised us not to give up and to fight for what we want.  

I could write more, but I just wanted to say Hi.  I have a good job, a place to live and a great family who keep me grounded.  The only thing missing is you.  21 years is a heck of a long time…. 

I miss you Dad…

Roger

And the pages of my life just keep on turning,
The way you always told me they would do.
There's lessons in this life that I'm still learning,
Oh I wish I was a little more like you.
(Dad    Skip Ewing)

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say that I think this is a great post. I wish I had been able to tell my Mom that by dad got cancer because of a gene and I was not her cooking, his eating habits or some of the other environmental factors that made her a widow at 46. I have the gene (& cancer) but my daughter need not get it if she does the TG and her future kids can avoid it. How the world has changed since my dad's death in 1978. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete