Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My Birthday


Tomorrow, May 13th, is my birthday.  I turn 53.   So after another year, what do I know? 

I know that this past year has been a challenging one for our family.  Yet I am amazed on how strong we have emerged.  We have been knocked down, but have gotten back up.   We have had loss, but have not let it defeat us.  We have been there as friends and family buried loved ones and yet we have never given up on the adventure that is life.  I have sat back in amazement as my little sister shows the rest of our family what true strength is.   We come from a family of warriors. Yes we sometimes fight and do stupid things, but at the end we will stick together no matter what. 

I know that  I am stronger than I have ever been.  I still have my days of doubts, but I know what I am going to do and in the long run all will be well. I also know that no matter how tough the rest of this year may be, it will not get the best of me.  I have a great family that is supportive of my decision (maybe not the squirrels).  I have two great jobs and am surrounded with strangely wonderful co-workers who keep me busy.  I know that at the end of this all; all will be well.

I have been asked to share my journey on the “No stomach for stomach cancer” website.   One of the great benefits of the site is that is allows people, who share this genetic mutation, a place to connect with others and learn about their options.  So soon my smiling mug will be on the site as a link to this blog for all to read.  I guess I will need to get a little better at writing these things.. 

As you step out in the night take a lesson from the trees
Watch the way they learn to bend with each breeze
Every time you make it through It's another little victory
Day by day minute by minute
Little victories

(Little Victories.  Bob Seger)

No comments:

Post a Comment