Thursday, May 12, 2016

Another Year...

It’s funny how this day just sneaks up on you. One minute it's months away and then all the sudden you are like, wholly crap it’s tomorrow. What day is it? Well tomorrow is my birthday. In total it is number 54, but it is my first since having my stomach removed so it seems appropriate to look back at this past year some. 

Since my last birthday, a lot has changed. I mean I started the year with a stomach and then let them cut it out. 
I have spent more than my fair share of time in hospitals. I have way to many IV’s and found out the hard way what a PIK line was. 
I spent a day at Valleyfair with my family enjoying the lights and the rides, yet got no lights and sirens with my ambulance ride. Go figure. 
I have been poked and prodded and prodded and poked. It seems like everyone and their sister has stabbed me with needles this past year. I now stab myself with one on a monthly basis just so I don’t forget what the feeling is like. I have seen doctor after doctor and they never seem to agree. So you just roll with it.

In the end  I was put to sleep fourteen times this past year and woke up each and every time. So I got that going for me. However by the time we got everything under control I had lost 82 pounds. 
I am slowly starting to put some of it back on (183 pounds and counting as of this morning).

As tough as the year was, it is still highlighted by the positive news that there is no cancer to deal with. So many people are not that lucky so I will count my blessings. 

The next few weeks of May will be busy to say the least. The good busy will include Jenny coming home! There will be a number of my family and friends all of whom will have birthdays during this time which give us reasons to celebrate. Yet there will be that one birthday that will be kind of tough. My little girl turns 18 soon. She is an amazing young lady, but she is our youngest and I still see her as that little ball of energy bounding through the house with no fear. They grow up too fast.

Then there will also be the anniversary of my Dad’s passing. 22 years. UUGGHH.

To top it all off I will be traveling to Kansas City next week on business. Yep, heading to land of amazing BBQ joints and great craft beer.... 
All without a stomach (insert sad faced emoji here).

I don't know where I'm going
But, I sure know where I've been
Hanging on the promises In songs of yesterday
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time
But, here I go again
(Here I go again..  Whitesnake)

No comments:

Post a Comment