Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Settling Into A Rhythm... Sort Of..

It has been almost 8 months since I had my stomach removed and 5 weeks since I had the stent removed and I seem to have settled into what my adjusted life will be from now on.

Except for one thing.

My nemesis..
A nemesis is described as "the inescapable agent of someone's or something's downfall". Mine is chocolate. I know that now. I always though it would have been Diet Coke or beer, but it's not. It's chocolate in any shape or form. I have decided that since I enjoy chocolate, I am going to eat chocolate. I must have chocolate. Yet, my body has other ideas. So I do my best to just grab a piece here and there. I try to be sneaky about it, but that doesn't work. Then my body starts to retaliate by gurgling and peculating quite a bit. It really does make a pretty loud ruckus. In my mind that just means that it just needs more chocolate and the battle of wills begins. So far I have lost most of these tasty battles, but the campaign is not yet over.  So stay tuned..

Other than chocolate, I can eat what I want and even the portion sizes have started to increase. I still need to work on when to stop eating though. There have been a couple of times, since the stent was removed, where I ended up throwing up because I ate too much. If you remember I don't get hungry and I don't feel full. That is until it's too late. It is all about balance. I Slowly try to increase the amount I am eating in order to gain weight, without eating too much or I throw it all back up.

The other night I had a T-bone steak. First steak since the whole stent episode started and I grilled it to perfection. So I had the smaller tenderloin side and was fine. I thought that I could handle at least some of the porterhouse side. Did I mention that it was cooked to perfection? Well I tried to eat all of it. Wrong decision on my part. Well you live and learn I guess.

My days now consist of a small breakfast. A snack when I get to work. Another snack around 10:00 am or so and then try to pack in 30 grams of protein for lunch. Usually that will hold me until just before I head home, so I have a snack before I leave. Snacks can be applesauce, a protein bar, potato chips, or even sting cheese. It just depends on what I have in my office at that particular time. Once home I eat whatever I can whip up, as often as I can. If I have to work at the liquor store then I take a bevy of snacks with me. Hit the 60-70 gram mark per day and I am good to go.

I now weigh 181 pounds and seem to be holding steady. It can fluctuate a pound or two on a daily basis, but I have been over 180 for the last four or five days so I will take it. It would be a lot easier though if I could eat chocolate,
I'm just sayin..

You can say the human heart is only make-believe
And I am only fighting fire with fire
But you are still a victim of the accidents you leave
As sure as I'm a victim of desire
(Don't Ask Me Why  Billy Joel)

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried dark chocolate? I can manage chocolate with 65% cocoa or higher but the sweeter stuff doesn't work at all if I eat more than a mouthful. (I also have no stomach since end May 2015 for the same reason).

    ReplyDelete