Monday, May 30, 2016

A Run To The Border!

Remember in the early 90's when Taco Bell's slogan was to "run to the border". I was working for Best Buy at the time and there were many days when that phrase would echo down the hall. It was lunchtime and the only question that needed to be answered was, "we are running to the boarder, you in?"

Well today I got to run to the border once again. This time however it will not be to Taco Bell.

Welcome to Canada. Our journey takes us to Nipigon Ontario on the northern shores of Lake Superior.  I have never fished in Canada and nor have I fished Lake Superior so this will be a first for me.  Large northern, large walleye, and large small mouth bass are our targets for the next couple of days.

The spot we will be fishing has been producing large northern pike over the past week or so. The numbers of northern pike over forty inches has been mind blowing.  Over a couple of day span this particular bay has produced forty plus fish over the 40 inch mark. To say I am excited to get out there would be an understatement.
The weather will be a challenge for us as rain and storms are being forecasted for the area later tomorrow. The bay we will be fishing in will provide some cover, but Lake Superior is big and I do not be on her in a boat when the storms roll in. So the plan is to hit it hard tonight and then again tomorrow for as long as the weather holds.  With everything I have been through over the past 9 months, I really do not want to star in my own version of the deadliest catch....

Update:
We are off the lake for the evening. In total we landed seven northerns the smallest was thirty six inches and the large ones were well over forty inches long. These were some of the largest fresh water fish I have seen.

And we are just starting our time here.



No comments:

Post a Comment