Friday, December 4, 2015

Dilations

The goal for today’s procedure was to increase the size of the opening between the esophagus and small intestine. I can say that today’s procedure was as a success. That’s not to say that there will not be further procedures in my future, in fact there will be, but today's dilation was a success and it felt good to get some good news for a change.

When my original surgery was completed the connection point between the esophagus and small intestine was around 20mm.  Over the past few months scar tissue has built up around the connection point and the opening has shrunk. When it gets to a certain point a dilation is needed to increase the size of the opening so that food does not get stuck on the way down and you can eat.

My first stricture was defined as being a moderate stricture and the opening was around 9mm. During that first procedure they were able increase the size of the opening only to 11mm before they risked tearing the connection which would require emergency surgery.
Today’s stricture was moved to severe stricture. The size of the opening was the same as the last time I had one (9mm), but the size of the scar tissue had increased in width and was now over 11mm wide. Thus the reason I was having so much trouble eating. The good news today was that they were able to increase the size of the opening to 15mm.  I will take that.  Due to the scar tissue, the chances are slim that they will be able to get it back to 20mm, but I will take 15 if they can keep me there.

So what is the plan for keeping me there? First part of the plan is to try to keep the stricture from getting back to 9mm again. They want to do the dilation again before it gets that small. The feeling is that if they can catch it earlier then they can keep it around the 15mm mark and get the scar tissue to stay at that level. That is why I feel that there will be additional dilations in my future. 

At the end of the day I still have a ways to go, but at least we have a plan.  I just hope it works.  

And the best way to end the day?  First a prime rib dinner at the River Inn.  Second, Jenny surprised us by coming home tonight!
A good day.

You turned the tap dance into your crusade
Now here you are all with your faith
And your Peter Pan advice
You have no scars on your face
And you cannot handle pressure

(Pressure   Billy Joel)

No comments:

Post a Comment