Saturday, December 26, 2015

A Cheering Section

Everyone needs a cheering section.
There are times when life just sucks. Times when you are faced with a problem or a situation when you need to have someone, anyone, give you a little boost to keep going. This past year I have needed to have that boost on more than one occasion and what I received was more that just a little boost. It turned out that I had a whole cheering section rooting for me. So now at year's end I wanted to say thank you.

If you think about it, these life events create a ripple effect, your cheering section causes the ripples to run in reverse. I mean when you drop a rock or something into water the ripples head away from the center. When a life event happens and you are the one being dropped in, the ripples, or your cheering section come back to you. They lift you and keep you afloat until you can manage on your own.

The core of my cheering section has always been my family. They are the reason I made the decision I made. They have never seconded guess my decision and have been there to help pull me through. They were there during the hospital stays and the many appointments. They make sure that I continue to take care of myself. They force me to stay focused and not let what is happening take the laughter and smiles out of life. Most importantly they have kept me sane though all of this. I could not have done it without them.

From there my cheering section explodes. It's filled with brothers, sisters, my mom, and my cousins. There are the friends and family friends that have known me my entire life. There are friends that I have lost touch with over the years, but have reappeared to help lift me. These are the the people have seen me at my best and at my worst yet have never given up on me.

I chose to live in a small community and it seems everyone knows about what is going on. Neighbors check up on me. People stop in to the store to see how I am doing. They stop me in the River Inn, or at church, at the gas station, or wherever they happen to run into me just to let me know that they are pulling for me.

There are the coworkers. People I currently work with or have worked with in the past. Coworkers that I have become as close as family with and others who I hardly ever get a chance to see anymore. Some of them have moved or drifted away when I changed jobs or they changed jobs, but now since this all started they were there to let me know that they were thinking about me.

There are the classmates from Princeton who have reached out to me. Some of these folks I have not talked with since graduation yet they were there at different points in time during the past year. They also let me be a part of something special during December that helped remind me what the holiday spirit was supposed to be about. It was an amazing experience.

Then there was the unexpected outcome of writing this blog. People I have never met and will never meet have reached out to me, They are from all parts of the world. They just wanted to see how I was doing and to let me know that they had been there and I would be OK.

I could go on and on and still miss people, so to everyone reading this blog. You have helped me and my family make it through a strange and tough 2015, so thank you.

As for 2016, we are hoping for a year of healing.  My wish for you is that your year is filled with nothing but happy life events. If that does not happen then I hope that your cheering section is large, loud and full of love.  Mine was.

Thank you all.

Happy New Year!

The North is to South what the clock is to time
There's east and there's west and there's everywhere life
I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in between is mine
(I Am Mine   Pearl Jam)

No comments:

Post a Comment