Thursday, July 2, 2015

Happy 4th of July.

Happy 4th of July Everyone!

I hope that, wherever you are celebrating, you are having a safe and enjoyable weekend. 

We are in Spirit Lake Iowa celebrating with my daughter and her husband. It is always good to get down here and spend time with them. We brought our bikes down and will get to spend some time exploring some of the many bike paths around the city. Jenny and Sam live right off one of the main trails, so we can walk out the front door and have access to all of the lakes in the area. The weekend will be filled with music, laughter, food and some adventure.

This past week was packed with some emotional events to say the least.
  • We got a chance to catch up with our nephew from Texas. He came up to spend the week with us. It is always great to see him. He headed home this morning.
  • Our son announced that he would be moving out this weekend. It is good to see him spread his wings some more, but scary none the less. The house loses some of it's character when he is not around. 
  • We also released the squirrels we were raising into the backyard on Tuesday. They will stick around for a few weeks and then will be gone. If squirrels had thumbs, they would rule the world.  We're just sayin.... 
  • Oh, and I have 30 days until I am due in Rochester...
So, one month from today I have the surgery to have my stomach removed...

I could tell you that I am at peace with my decision, but that would be a lie. The nerves and second guessing have set in and are in complete control. I am told that this is normal, but it doesn't make it any easier. Am I making the right decision? There has got to be a better option.  Wouldn't it be easier to just ignore it and hope it doesn't catch up to me? Who in the heck removes their stomach?
I keep reading about new advancements in cancer treatment, I just don't hear about them happening with stomach cancer. I guess that I could go in and have the endoscopy to test for stomach cancer every year. Just hope that they do not find anything and pray that the biopsies come back clear.  In the end though waiting would be like playing a game of Russian Roulette with cancer. I would be placing my hope that, year after year, I could dodge the chamber of the gun that has stomach cancer in it. I just need to keep reminding myself that I have done the research and the surgery is what is best for me,

In other words, my dance card is still set for an August 4th date with Dr. Kendrick and his team.

There are still some things I need to do before I head down to the Mayo Clinic:
A day at Valleyfair (July 17th).
The Hanover Harvest Festival (August 1st)
Final prime rib dinner at the River Inn (TBD)
My last day of work will be Friday July 30th.  There will need to be a small happy hour at Sgt. Peppers in Oakdale.

Since I am me, I have figured out a way to bookend these final 30 days with fireworks. Tonight here in Spirit Lake for the 4th and then again in Hanover on August 1st for the Hanover Harvest festival. The month of Roger comes in and goes and out with a bang!

A special thank you out goes to all of our military personnel who protect our freedom and make sure that this day can happen year after year.

Happy 4th everyone!

Funny days in the park
Every day's the Fourth of July
People reaching, people touching
A real celebration
Waiting for us all
If we want it, really want it
(Saturday In The Park   Chicago)

No comments:

Post a Comment