Tuesday, March 27, 2018

When Stomachless And Causing Problems Pays Off

Quick Update From Yesterday's Surgery.

As far as we know the surgery went fine. My eye is sewed shut and will remain so until next Wednesday. So once we understand how the eye is working we can plan our next move.
This is my fifth or sixth surgery since the accident. Before each surgery I have mentioned to the surgical team that I do not have a stomach, we talk about why and then it is never mentioned again.


That is until yesterday.
I was told by a couple folks to make sure that the Anesthesiologist knew about it. So when he came in and did his spiel I told him that I had a total gastrectomy and about some of the challenges that could bring. He asked a lot of questions and said, "Ok that is important to know, thank for telling me" and excused himself (they were still working on getting the I.V. started).
When the Anesthesiologist returned he notified me that based on what I told him he was changing how they were going to change how they managed my health while I was out. Like I said earlier I have had a few surgeries with this misadventure, but this is the first time anyone came in and told me that they were changing my care due to the fact that I told them that I was stomachless. They may have changed it, but if they did they didn't tell me.


What did they change? The concern was something coming back up the esophagus and ending up in my lungs. So if I remember this correctly, instead of using medicine to make sure that nothing comes back up the esophagus, they made the decision to put a breathing tube in to block any chance of something ending up in my lungs.
I can only believe that the other teams did similar things but just did not inform me of it. This was the first time that someone came in and said I am going to change what I do based on this information.
I guess it pays to be a pain after all.


By the way to put the wedge they had to remove the custom plate. So I asked about the custom plate that they put in and if they were going to save it in case that for some reason this surgery went bad. The plate was made with a cadaver bone, so the short answer was no you couldn't save it to use again at a later date.
His question to me? Do you want it?
Heck Yea!


Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind
On the road to Shambala
Everyone is lucky, everyone is so kind
On the road to Shambala
(Shambala  Three Dog Night)

No comments:

Post a Comment