Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Last Few Weeks Part 2 What I Know.

So it has been just over a month since my accident and I am healing or so I am being told. Tomorrow is a big day with a series of doctors appointments to check my progress.
I still don't remember what happened that night, however I have learned a few things and can make some accurate assumptions on other things.

August 5th was the Hanover Harvest Festival. It's our yearly community event complete with a parade, a farmers market, a 5K race and ends with a band and fireworks. Every year I work at the local liquor store at some point in time. It is one of our busiest and most fun days of the year to work.

This year was no exception. We were busy right up until close. As we were closing the fireworks started and we stepped outside the store to catch some of the show. We then headed back into the store to finish closing duties and prep the store for the next day.  By the time we were done, we were locking up the store around 10:30. I remember all of this clearly.

There was a band playing next door and we have gotten to know one of the band members and his wife through the store and we stopped by to say hi and chat with them a bit. All in all we done at the store, had time to visit with the band and out the door by 11:00 pm. I can remember leaving starting my moped and taking off the next thing I know it is the next day and I am in the ER.


I have been back to the accident site four or five times hoping it would help jog my memory but with no success. However I have been able to piece together some things. I was found at 11:45 by a father and son who were walking home. According to the first responders, base on my condition and the amount of dried blood, they figure I was laying there for about a half hour before anyone found me. I have had meet the father and have been able to thank him for calling 911 and sitting with me until help arrived.


I know that two things happened. First as I came around the corner I either hit something with my moped or blew the front tire out. Either way the front rim and tire on my moped are destroyed. There is a huge missing section of the rim. The front fork of the moped is damaged and does not turn anymore. Front tire blown and I was sent over the front handle bars of the moped which turned me into a human dart.


This leads us to the second thing we have determined. That is that I hit a sign on my way over the handle bars. I hit the sign with the right side of my face which caused all damage to that side. So this allows us to answer the question "what happens when an stoppable force meets an unmovable object". I know the answer now.


Tomorrow is a big day with doctors appointments so I will update once I know more about surgery dates.
And Thank You for all the messages and notes as I work through this.


Roger



1 comment:

  1. Roger, are you thinking that maybe all this stuff with your stomach came into play, at all? You had posted before about being dizzy to the point of almost wanting to pass out and had thought diabetes. That came back not the case....do you think low sugar or something to that affect may have kicked in and caused you to pass out?? It's probably for the best you don't remember...a lot of people don't when BIG events like this happen. However, I'm sure you want ANSWERS!!!! Goodness....I remember reading a post on facebook about it and I had the BIGGEST pit in my gut and wanted to cry for you!!!!! I'm glad you're a fighter and fighting like you always do! :)

    ReplyDelete