Friday, September 15, 2017

Last Few Weeks..Part 3 What I Learned Doctor Visits

So How did yesterday go?  Some good news, some not so good news. Seems to be the story of my life recently.

First the good news. And the shortest part of the update. The brace is gone!
After 6 weeks of having to wear a stiff plastic brace 24/7 I am now free of it. My neck is still sore, but only due to lack of movement. The brace was made to restrict my movement and let me tell you it worked just like it was supposed to. I am so happy to be rid of it.

Now the not so good news.
Both doctors I saw today, took one look at my right eye and could tell that it moved. My right eye has slide back and dropped some in the eye socket. They didn't need tools to tell. They had me open both eyes and could see that they eye had moved. The risk here is that they need to get it put in place as quick as they can before there is any damage to the eye. Like I said the not so good part of the day.
Next came more disappointing news. They can not schedule the next surgery as of yet. They have not been able to find any place to have the custom plate made. The regular plates that they have work 90% of the time, they just wont work for me. Go figure.


So what's with this plate? Well to explain that you need to see what shape my face is in (see image). Now this image was taken after my first surgery, but before the second emergency surgery.
The bumps you see along the left side of the image are the plates that were used to rebuild that side of my face. They are all still in place where they are supposed to be with the exception of one plate and that is the one causing all the problem.
It is really hard to see, but there is a plate on the bottom of the eye socket on that side. That plate is the one that needed to be remove during the emergency surgery. It was binding with the tissue around my eye. Without that plate my eye is just sitting in there with no support. That is how it has been able to shift it's position

Now in case you wondering, I did ask about the chance of my eye just falling out and they assured me it wouldn't happen. That would be awkward.

So what is next? On Monday, the surgical team will be meeting with another vendor they feel can create the plate. They will use a mock up of my eye socket that they created with a 3D printer and work to fit the custom plate into the mock up first. Once they are comfortable with the fit of the plate they will schedule the surgery.
My feeling I get is that they are going to try to move fast on getting me in and the plate put in place. I can only hope so, this one eye thing is for the birds!
And I wait....

Long promised road
Trail starts at dawn
Carries on to the season's ending
Long promised road
Flows to the source, gentle force, never ending, never ending
(Long Promised Road   Beach Boys)

1 comment:

  1. Wowza...that sure would be a sight...having your eye just pop out lol. So glad that will NOT happen. Hoping for something quick!

    ReplyDelete