Monday, March 6, 2017

In The End Was It Worth It?

Last week ended on a tough note and it brought back a question I have asked myself many times since that day I was told I had the CDH1 mutation.
Did I accomplish anything by having my stomach removed?

You see I spent Friday and Saturday saying good-bye to someone I have know for a number of years. We were not super close, however I got to know him as we played softball together on the church softball team.
He was the young speedy quick player on the team that could stretch a single into a double or a double into an in the park home run. I on the other hand was the not so speedy quick player on the team who could stretch a singe into a single and easily stretch a double into a single as well.

They say you have two times and dates stamped into your life. The day you are born and the day that you die. Everything else is up to you and the decisions you make. If you believe that then it really brings into question whether or not having my stomach removed changed anything. I still have that end date stamped into my "being". There is still an expiration date on my time here and I am not sure that by having my stomach removed changed that date at all.

He was 33 and in great shape. A son, a husband, a father and his life ended in a tragic car accident. He got up went to work and never came home. His time on this earth had ended. I have to believe that if he knew what was going to happen on that day that he would have done something. Changed his route. Changed the time that he left for work or even called in sick. If he had would that have change that days outcome? Would his end date moved?

That's what I did. I changed the path that I might have been on. I got the warning shot that my friend did not. Did I accomplish anything by having my stomach removed?
Did I move my end date? I don't know.
I know that I will not die of stomach cancer.
Still did I change that date?
We will just have to sit back and see how this life plays out.

Two, three count with nobody on
He hit a high fly into the stand
Rounding third he was headed for home
(Brown Eyed Handsome Man   Chuck Berry)

Rest in peace Matt.

1 comment:

  1. WOW, Roger!!! You have got some GREAT points here....DEEP DEEP thoughts, but such true ones!!!

    ReplyDelete