Thursday, October 27, 2016

Another First.

Well that went better than I thought it would.  

Yesterday I was eating lunch when all of the sudden it felt as if I was chewing on a bunch of sand. I spit out what was in my mouth and there was the remains of what once was a filling I had in one of my teeth.

So I started searching around with my tongue trying to find it. 
Hoping that it was just a filling and not part of the tooth. 
Hoping that it was one of my lower teeth. 
Hoping that there would not be any piercing pain when I found it.

Well as the Meat Loaf song goes, two out of three ain’t bad.

First, there was no sharp areas around the tooth, so from what I could tell it was just a filling that had popped out. Second there was no pain. It was shallow and no nerve ending were exposed. I even went so far as to drink a cold beer or two later in the day and there was still no pain. All good. 
The bad news was that it was an upper molar. 

Now I am not a big fan of dentists. I have had a few root canals in my time and have had my share of both good and bad experiences in dentist offices. So I wouldn't go as far as saying that there was a fear of going to the dentist...  Actually, yea fear is good word to use. 

We have been going to the same dentist for a while now. He knows about my surgery and knows that my head cannot go below the rest of my body for any extended period of time. I mean normally, if it is an upper tooth, it feels like they just turn you upside down and go to work. They couldn't do that with me anymore. And since this would be my first dental work since having my surgery I was concerned on how it would go. 
The only thing Dr. B said when he came in the room was “Really? You couldn’t have lost one of the lower fillings?”. He then smiled and told me not to worry. He was pretty sure he could get at it without tipping me on my head. It was just a matter of adjusting the chairs around a bit and we would be fine.

In the end I think it took them more time to get us all situated in positions that would allow him to get at the tooth, than it did to actually fix the tooth.

I was in and out in about 35 minutes and all I can say is that there was no pain which is always nice.
Thanks Dr. B!

Welcome to my nightmare!
I think you're gonna like it!
I think you're gonna feel you belong!
We sweat and laugh and scream here!
'Cause life is just a dream here!
You know inside you feel right at home, here!
(Welcome To My Nightmare   Alice Cooper)

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't have even THOUGHT about being laid back in the dental chair!!! Sorry you had to go through that, but glad I read this so I can give my dentist a heads up when I'm due for my next exam!!! I work for a dentist, and she's Dr. B, also....must be something about the name to be a good dentist! :)

    ReplyDelete