Saturday, October 10, 2015

Food

Eating enough food still seems to be my biggest daily struggle. If I don't eat enough I find myself running out of energy at different points in time during the day. From what I understand, this is my body's way of telling me to eat.  So I do my best to oblige and stuff my face with something.

Over this past week I had been able to keep my weight pretty constant. I had one day where I gained two pounds, but gave it back over the next few days. So at the end of the week I ended up weighing the same as I did on Monday.  My weight did fluctuate a lot during the week. Yet in the end I held my ground.

The challenge is that food gets stuck daily and I am left to deal with it. I get up and walk around to see if I can get it moving, or I can wait to see if my body decides to send it back up. In some cases this can be a matter of minutes, or in extreme cases a few hours. When it happens depends on where and when I eat.  It happens at work and at home, it happens in the morning or as I recently found out just before I go to bed. Anytime it happens, it hurts.
Most of the time these episodes are self inflicted. the problem is that I am eating to fast, or not taking the time to chew my food enough. Yet there are foods that no matter what are a problem. One of the more frustrating foods I am struggling with are egg noodles. They seem to be in a lot of dishes and no matter how well I chew them up, they get stuck.

One thing that does help is that the folks at work love to snack. There are homemade or store bought snacks out daily and you can really just kind of graze your way around the office. I have been able to enjoy some of them with coworkers, however I just need to be really careful on what I decide to eat.
For instance the other day I ate some M&Ms. Both the plain and peanut kind; one fun sized bag of each. Not at the same time or even close to the same time. I thought what the heck, it can't be that bad. I mean, there are what 6 M&Ms in each bag.
Well, the peanut M&Ms went fine. The are mostly peanuts so my intestines were able to deal with them. The plain M&Ms were a completely different story. All chocolate and sugar to which my body said no thank you and sent them back. Not a fun situation at work.

Other that that things are going well. The doctors want me to stay hydrated, and I have been able to do that. I keep a water bottle with me at all times. I have had opportunities to increase my liquid intake from time to time this week. I added a couple of beers, a glass of wine or a small Long Island just to top the day off.  I think I have the drinking part down pat.

And it's up too slow, down to fast
When will I be done
And each hill's higher than the last
On this roller coaster run
(Roller Coaster Run.   Michael Johnson)

No comments:

Post a Comment