Thursday, July 12, 2018

A Medical Update. The Hail Mary.....

Here is a short update from my appointment with the surgical team at the University of Minnesota yesterday.

Remember these are the folk that are supposed to do the key surgery to fix the double vision problem I am having. I have had to wait to see them until they were able to get my eyelid stabilized, which we believe that they have done. Now I just wanted to hear when the surgery would be so I could put all of this behind me.
I was not expecting this..
"I am sorry, but we can't fix your eyes. Everything that we could do would mess up your vision and possibly leave you legally blind. Again I am sorry but there is nothing more that we can do for you."
I just sat there and said out loud crap (actually I used a different word and I am pretty sure you can figure it out).

Here is the issue.
Usually if you experience double vision the view from the one eye is either vertically or horizontally impacted. So what you see out of one eye is higher or lower, or to the right or the left of what you see out of the other. Well my other eye's view is wide high and shanked to the left. And that is not the issue. That is fixable.
The problem now is that with all the scar tissue that has developed my right eye is not it the right place. Not only is that eye looking high and right, it is also kiddywampus. It is not level. So if they even try to bring the two views together, I still wont be able to see because one is tilted significantly to the right. The view will be completely blurry and no matter how much they try they wont ever become one.
So they can either fix the location of the eye or the orientation of the eye, not both. And in both cases doing the one surgery will make the other issue worse. They also told me that due to the amount of reconstruction done on that that eye socket and the amount of scar tissue in the area, I am "not a candidate for further eye socket surgery." So I am kind of stuck.
This is the second hospital network that is not willing to do anymore work on the eye. First North Memorial and now the U of M.

So what is next.
The surgeon at the U knows of a guy down at the Mayo Clinic who has had some success working with cases like mine. So I have a referral to go down and see him.
The problem there is that I still have an outstanding bill with them from my stomach removal procedure and follow up fun I went trough with that adventure. We have been going back and forth with my insurance company on this and if I want to get into see anyone then it looks like I am going to have to pay it. So I will. However, Mayo Clinic will not let me schedule this new appointment until that bill is cleared up. That is going to take a bit.
And if I get down to the Mayo and they can't help me..
We start the conversation about what is next including very possibly removing the eye.
Kind of running out of options here.


And with all of his strength he gave a mighty shove
Then a miner yelled out "there's a light up above!"
And twenty men scrambled from a would-be grave
Now there's only one left down there to save, big John
(Big Bad John  Jimmy Dean)

No comments:

Post a Comment