Monday, September 5, 2016

The Ties That Bind

"As long as the ties that bind us together are stronger than those that would tear us apart, all will be well."  (Basic Text of the Fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous pg.57)

This past Saturday was our 28th wedding anniversary. What a difference a year makes. This year, I worked at the store in the morning which left us the evening to relax and enjoy each other’s company. We had an early dinner at the River Inn, won some money at pull tabs (then gave it back), and then buzzed the town on our mopeds. We finished off the evening with a cocktail, some popcorn, and rented the movie “The Jungle Book”. All in all a good night.

Later today we will finish up our anniversary weekend with all the kids and an evening of laughter and games. Jenny and Sam are in town for the weekend which makes it even more special. This will probably be the last time we get to see them before the baby is born.

Last year, over our anniversary, I was just starting my weekly runs back and forth to the Mayo Clinic. They were beginning to suspect that a stricture had formed, but had not decided on starting dilations yet. In fact for our anniversary I was lucky that I wasn't spending additional time in the hospital, or that I was not enjoying my dinner through a Pic line. It was just the beginning of a really tough stretch in our lives. We were looking at traveling down a long tunnel of worry and not knowing, but we made it though. It just took some time.  

You lose count of anniversaries so I wanted to write about this one. I mean we have spent our anniversary together and separated. Our anniversary has arrived when we were sick or when we had sick kids to take care of. We have spent them in mourning over loved ones lost or with family and friends celebrating life. We even spent one, six years ago, in the intensive care unit at the University of Minnesota after I started hemorrhaging at dinner. So this year having one that was low key and relaxing was nice.  

The longer you stay together the more that can and will happen. The more that happens the stronger the ties that bind you together become. Just think, next year we should be celebrating our first anniversary as Grandparents. It's gonna be a good year..

Happy Anniversary Edie.

You should know, Everywhere I go
Always on my mind,
You're in my heart, In my soul

(You’re The Inspiration  Chicago) 

1 comment:

  1. You have come a LONG way and are doing GREAT! Next year will be all that more special with a grand baby. So excited for what life has to bring for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete