Thursday, April 2, 2015

Can I get extra Mayo on that please....

A quick update on my Mayo Clinic visit. 

Day one consisted of meeting with part of Dr. Kendrick’s team.   The one question that the team there asked that the University of Minnesota did not ask, was “what would you like to do about this situation?”.   You would think it would be an obvious question, but it’s not.   For the most part I heard a lot of the same information and we had  similar conversations that were had at the U, but that one question sticks out as a really important question.   I guess that it still goes back to the fact that I am not sick.  We ended up spending somewhere between 2-3 hours with the team exchanging notes and asking each other questions before I was sent for my lab work. 

Lab work = blood draw, and I must have given up a gallon of blood that day.

Day two was the endoscopy and the almost colonoscopy.  I was originally scheduled to have both procedures, however I had just had a colonoscopy last year as part of a yearly checkup.  I really did not want to go through another one of them this soon.  Now the procedure itself is a breeze.  I slept right through the last one, not a problem.  I just wasn’t looking forward to the “cleansing” part of it in a hotel room.  So I had my records sent down and they agreed that the endoscopy was the only one needed.
Well somewhere between Dr. Kendrick’s team and the pre-op team that information got lost and they still had me scheduled for the colonoscopy.  It was good that Edie was there and caught it, or there could have been serious issues.  Now I would have been out, so I would not have been the issue.  However, unless a long island tea the night before counts as “cleansing”, there could have been a problem.   Once that issue was cleared up we were good to go, however we didn’t go anywhere for a while.  There were complications in the two procedures before me and I did not actually get into the procedure room until 3 hours later.    My procedure went fine and last a whole 8 minutes I am told.   And I did check with the team in the room to make sure that they knew what procedure was supposed to be done and especially that they used the correct scope. 

I go back down on April 9th to meet with Dr. Kendrick.  They are reviewing my family history, and the results from a battery of test that they put me through.  So I should have a recommendation on how they think I should proceed at time. 

“These are the seasons of emotion,
and like the winds, they rise and fall.”
The Rain Song… Led Zeppelin

No comments:

Post a Comment