Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Quick update from yesterday's dilation. Updated 1-20-16

Yesterday was my fourth dilation at the Mayo Clinic. Normally this is a fairly easy, painless procedure, however yesterday was different. In an attempt to end these appointments, they added a new step into the procedure. They injected the scar tissue with steroids. The plan is that the steroids will decrease the amount of swelling that is happening with the scar tissue. Once they stop the swelling then the opening should remain at the 15mm size going forward.
My appointment was for 1:15 but the actual procedure did not start until round 2:20 or so. From what I understand the procedure went fine…
Except:
I don’t remember getting dressed afterwards.
I can remember seeing my wife in the waiting area, but do not remember leaving the Mayo Clinic.
I can only remember bits and pieces of the two and a half hour ride home from Rochester.
By 7 o’clock last night I didn’t feel good, threw up my supper and was in bed. I was done.
Now today there is a spot inside of me where it feels like it was stuck with a needle multiple times.  I know it was stuck with a needle multiple times. I am just not sure I should be feeling it.

As I mentioned this was my fourth dilation and this is the first time that I have had any of these issues.  

Since the procedure was so late in the day I did not get a chance to meet with the surgical team to see how the procedure went. They usually go over how bad the stricture was this time of the dilation and what they were able to expand it out to. They are supposed to call today to review these results with me. When they do call I hope to get some answers to what happened yesterday.

The other thing they need to know about is that I have lost 4 pounds since Sunday morning and am now down to 186.
Enough already…

WEDNESDAY UPDATE
I received word from the surgical staff late on Tuesday that I need to return to Mayo next week for another dilation and steroid treatment. The stricture had returned down to a 9mm and was classified once again as severe. To add on top of this they found a tear in my esophagus near the incision. They feel if they can stop the strictures from forming then the tear may heal on it's own. I will be meeting with the surgeon who performed the original surgery to get his recommendation on this latest little adventure.
A tear anywhere is something that they warn me about every time I have a dilation. They go over the warning signs and give you strict instructions that if you notice any to head to the nearest emergency room. So to hear them say the words is a little unnerving to say the least.
Did I say Enough Already???  Yeah I did..

It's down to this
I've got to make this life make sense
Now I can't tell what I've done
Now again I found myself so far down away from the sun
That shines to light the way for me

(Away From The Sun  3 Doors Down)

No comments:

Post a Comment