Tuesday, January 5, 2016

"Are you sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me." (Tarzan)

DESSERT.....
It has been just over four months since my surgery. By now I pretty much know what I can and cannot eat and the one thing that I can't eat that bothers me the most is dessert. In most cases there is just too much sugar in desserts for me and I end up in a dumping situation.

Sometimes though you just have to dive in and try even if the outcome looks questionable.

For example…
This past Saturday a neighbor brought over a couple of plates of homemade treats. Stuffed Rice Crispy bars is the best way to describe them. These things were layered rice crispy bars. They had additional marshmallow and caramel bits stuffed in the middle.  All of this was held together with additional melted marshmallow an caramel and then was topped off with more melted caramel. It really was sugar, wrapped in sugar, held together by sugar and topped with more sugar. All the warning signs that Roger should stay away.

Now rice crispy bars are one of my favorite treats. So I did what any other normal person would do. I devoured one. Yep full on attack to the point of licking the sticky caramel off of my fingers. Now in my defense, I didn’t eat a full one. Since I do not have a stomach that would not be the responsible thing to do. Too much sugar. So I tore the bars in half and handed the other half to my son-in-law Sam and said “here eat this”. So I only ate two halves. I don't think it counts as a full one then, The math gets a little fuzzy there. I will say that they were really good.

How did my body respond? Violently is the best way to describe it. Within a few minutes to be exact. And I knew, as I struggled to shove that last bit of heaven into my face, that eating them was not the best decision I had made that day. It would not end well. I didn’t care. For that brief moment in time while I engaged that tasty morsel in battle, I felt normal. It was worth it.

And don’t worry about the remaining rice crispy treats, Our oldest daughter’s birthday was this past weekend and they were her birthday treat. She took them home with her. If they would have remained at the house, then I would have had to continue to do battle with them until each and every one of them had been eliminated from tempting anyone else.

I was back down at Mayo on the 28th for my third dilation and it went fine I guess. The opening had closed back to 9mm, which they were not happy about, but they were able to dilate it back to 15mm easily which they felt was encouraging. They would still like to be able to catch the stricture before it gets back down to 9mm, but they will not schedule a dilation unless they feel that a stricture has formed. So I do not know how we are going to get ahead of this if I have to wait until I have a problem before we can make an appointment. Kind of frustrating. 

We will just wait and see I guess. 

Welcome to 2016!

So something like a Swiss army knife That's my life
Frankenstein had nothing on this body of mine
The villagers still flockin' to see, to see me
Breaking free, breaking free
(School Boy Heart  Jimmy Buffett)

No comments:

Post a Comment